WJCL 22 ABC - November 30th 2016

Boy, 11, dies of nut allergy on family Thanksgiving trip

"WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A Thanksgiving trip to Maine ended in tragedy for a Florida family after their son ate nuts.

Oakley Debbs died last week after eating a cake that contained nuts -- something to which he was allergic.

Advertisement

"I loved him so much," said his mother, Merrill Debbs. "It just feels like a force of nature has been ripped out."

The Debbs family was in Maine for the Thanksgiving holiday. After Oakley ate the cake, he told his mother and she gave him Benadryl. It's always worked in the past and it seemed to work this time. Oakley said he felt great and went back to playing with his cousins and his twin sister."

Red Sneakers